We cordially invite you to the Press Conference on pre- release of movie
“498A – The Wedding Gift”
A motion picture on the Misuse of Dowry Law,
Inspired by the tragic suicide committed by Syed Makhdoom (a victim of 498A)
498A - The Wedding Gift is a tragi-comedy film written and directed by Suhaib Ilyasi, this motion picture features veteran actors like Farida Jalal, Alok Nath, Sushma Seth, veteran ghazal singer Ghulam Ali Khan and Reema Lagoo. Colgate Ad boy Harsh Nagar and a fresh new face from Delhi, Shrishti Gautam, are in lead roles. The cast also includes Deepak Tijori in his first ever negative role.
Suhaib Ilyasi, Farida Jalal, Alok Nath with lead star cast will be present at Press Conference.
Mr Munish Dalal, the would have been husband of Ms. Nisha Sharma, of the false dowry case, now acquitted after 9 years and Ms. Nausheen (Sister of late Syed Makhdoom) will also be present.
LOCATION: Press Club of India, 1, Raisina Road, New Delhi -110001
TIMING: 3 to 5 PM, 30th March 2012, Friday, followed by snacks
Contact: 9999107314(Kamal), 9818509406 (Wasif), 9910074914 (Ritwik), 9811052770 (Niladri)
“I didn’t know, when I was going for my Wedding, instead of gracious welcome, I would get 498A as a wedding gift”, says Munish Dalal, who was recently acquitted in the famous Nisha Sharma Case. Nisha Sharma was made an overnight heroine in May 11, 2003, as a crusader of anti-dowry campaign. After 9 years of hardship and struggle, Munish Dalal and his family are relieved to be acquitted in the case that had tarnished their image. How many of us would have imagined the truth behind Nisha Sharma story, when she was hailed a national icon and even her so called courageous step was even published Delhi school SCERT syllabus. Unfortunately, Munish Dalal case is not an isolated case, in fact, there are millions of sufferers who have got 498A as a Wedding Gift.498A is a typical law in IPC which is non-bailable, cognizable law and non-compoundable law where every marital conflict is termed as a dowry dispute. A single complaint by the wife can land the husband and his relatives in jail. A single complaint, implicates at least 5-6 person whether they have been even connected to the marriage or not.
Even though, it is well established the 498A is an abused provision and strong recommendations from all quarters to check the misuse, there is a lack of conviction to amend the law.
Save Family Foundation, is very happy to note that Suhaib Ilyasi has come up with the conviction to highlight the issue of misuse of 498A by making a movie on it named “498A-The Wedding Gift”. The movie is inspired by the true incident of Syed Makhdoom, a victim of misuse of 498A, who committed suicide in 2009.
1. This movie is being produced by Aaliya Productions owned by Mr. Suhaib Ilyasi, the famous host of the program, “India’s Most Wanted” that was telecast on Zee TV.
2. 498A: The Wedding Gift is a tragi-comedy film set in New Delhi, India. Written and directed by Suhaib Ilyasi, this motion picture features veteran actors like Farida Jalal, Alok Nath, Sushma Seth and Reema Lagoo. Colgate Ad boy Harsh Nagar and a fresh new face from Delhi, Shrishti Gautam, are in lead roles. The cast also includes Deepak Tijori in his first ever negative character.
3. The story of 498A –The Wedding Gift centers on the theme of a widely misused provision of law in India, known as Section 498A or popularly known as the anti-dowry law.
4. In the movie, Farida Jalal plays the role of the aggrieved mother, who goes insane, when implicated by false 498A case, filed by her daughter in law (played by Shristi Gautam in the movie).
5. Alok Nath is playing the role of father, who suffers heart attack due to the ignominy and harassment caused by 498A.
6. Ghulam Ali khan, a veteran Ghazal singer, apart from singing a patriotic song, has reportedly acted in the movie as well.
7. Target Audience: The motion picture is in post production stages. The producers are bullish about the release of the film and are banking on the millions of victims of law to be its audience along with other citizens of India who are still unaware of the this behemoth law and its potential to break a family.
8. Plot Inspiration: Producers of 498A: The Wedding Gift, maintain that the story of the film is not based on any specific true incident, however the motion picture 498A: Wedding Gift is said to be inspired by the death of Syed Makhdoom in 2009. Makhdoom (Canadian NRI), a computer engineer by profession, became a victim of 498A misuse and ended his life on 5 April 2009 in Bangalore, leaving four suicide notes and a dying video message on his mobile.
Producer & Director: Suhaib Ilyasi; Cinematography: Saurav Vishwakarma;
Music: Ray and Brotherhood; Lyrics: Majid Deobandi;
Singers: Ghulam Ali Khan, Sonu Nigam, Sunidhi Chauhan, Shaan & introducing Veena Parashar;
Action: Mehmood Bakshi; Editor: Arif Sheikh
In 2010, as per Ministry of Home Affairs Statistics, 94041 cases of 498A, has been registered and 180413 were arrested including 41079 women.
As per the Ministry of Home Affairs Statistics it has been found that conviction rate is very low. As per RTI, in last 10 years, 14,26,288 persons have been arrested including 3,66,030 women (1999-2000). Even the barbaric British Regime arrested only 20,000 women in 40 years.
Every hour, FIVE women get arrested in IPC 498A. So, the law that was meant to protect women is actually used to harass and jail an innocent woman, wasting government resources and tax payer’s money.
The misuse of this law has been well recognized and acknowledged by various governmental authorities including the Parliamentary Standing Committee and our Hon’ble Supreme Court, which termed it’s misuse as “Legal Terrorism” .The 498A report of Parliamentary Standing Committee, issued on Sep 07, 2011 states as follows:
- “The Committee strongly recommends that ill effects and misuse of the present legal provisions is also checked. The Committee fears that the failure to do so might leave no option except to dilute the law by making the same non-cognizable and non-bailable.”
- “The Committee recommends that section 498A be amended so as to provide for specific penalty in case the complaint is found to be false or with some ulterior motive. The Committee hopes that this will act as a deterrent because the complainant will be aware of the consequences which may follow if the complaint is found to be false by Court , at any stage of the proceedings.”
Suhaib Ilyasi feels extremely happy to announce that 20% of the profit made from the movie would be used for strengthening the men’s welfare movement in terms of building sustainable infrastructure for supporting the victims of the law, or organizing awareness campaigns to reach out to more and more victims or for conducting socially relevant research about abuse of men and their families.
1. Save Indian Family Foundation, Bangalore
2. Protect Indian Family(PIF), Mumbai :
3. Gender Human Rights Society, Delhi :
4. Mothers and Sisters Initiative (MASI), Delhi
5. “Pati Pariwar”-Kalyan Samiti, Lucknow
6. www.mynation.net Dubai/USA
7. All India Forgotten Women, Hyderabad
8. Child Rights Initiative for Shared Parenting, Bangalore (CRISP),
9. Indian Family Foundation, Mumbai
10. Confidare Consultancy, Bangalore
11. Men’s Rights Association(MRA), Pune
12. Purushavakasha Samrakshana Samiti(PASS), Thrissur, Kerala
13. All India Men’s Welfare Association(AIMWA)
14. Mothers and Sisters of Husband Against Abuse of Law (MASHAAL)
15. Centre for Men’s Rights, Bangalore
16. Indian Social Welfare And Activism Forum (INSAAF), USA
17. Bhavya Foundation, Rae Barielly
18. Hridaya-Nest of Family Harmony, Kolkata
19. All India Mother’s-in Law Protection Forum
20. Samseva, Bangalore
21. National Family Harmony Society (NFHS), Bangalore
22. Child Rights Initiative(CRI), Chennai
23. Save Indian Family Movement(SIFM), Chennai
24. National Litigant Bench(NLB), Bangalore
25. Janamithram Janakiya Neethivedhi(JJNV), Kerala
26. Peoples Urge for Rights and Equity(PURE), Mysore
28. Kutumba Samrakshana Vedi, Kerala
29. Purush Hakha Sarkshan Samiti Vidharbha Region
30. Stree Atyachar Pidit Purash Vikash Sanstha .Nagpur
31. Save Family Initiative, Jharkhand
32. Chattisgarh Save Indian Family